The Mortgage Underwriter is responsible for assessing the credit risk of mortgage loan applications. They will review the loan applications and all supporting documentation to determine if the applicant meets specific investor, agency, and bank underwriting guidelines for loan approval.
Detailed Job Duties
- Responsible for consistent and accurate underwriting as mandated by all investors, GSEs, HUD, VA and the Bank.
- Reviews the mortgage loan application file to verify that the application is complete and meets the selected product and program requirements, including but not limited to type and amount of mortgage, borrower assets, liabilities and credit history, employment, and collateral value.
- Utilizes Automated Underwriting Systems specific to Secondary Market Investor requirements, to include LP, DO/DU and other Investor specific underwriting systems.
- Reviews Sales Contract, Title Policy, Appraisal and Flood Determinations to assure that Bank, and Secondary Market standards and requirements are met.
- Issues underwriting dispositions with required conditions, and clears conditions, all in a timely manner that meets and strives to exceed the expectation of the borrower, loan originator and operations staff.
- Prepares counter offers and/or declination notices.
- Acts as a coach and mentor to the Mortgage Processing, Closing and Sales staff in the preparation of loan files for underwriting and secondary market guideline.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required or significant relevant experience
- Minimum of 7-10 years of secondary market mortgage underwriting experience
- Must have Direct Endorsement (FHA-DE) designation
- VA LAPP required
- Knowledge of Encompass preferred
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills
- Strong knowledge of regulatory compliance requirements
- Works well in a team focused environment
- Proficient computer skills to include MS Word and Excel.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the only standards for the position. Incumbents will be asked to perform other duties as may be required. Trustar Bank has the right to revise this job description at any time. Trustar Bank is an “at will” employer and, as such, neither this job description nor your signature constitutes any form of contractual agreement between you and Trustar Bank.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at HR@trustarbank.com. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here.